Saturday, April 14, 2012

Ledesma, Spain (Part 2)

Saturday. As such, in the backwards bizarro world I'm living in these days, it was time to go to work. I awoke late (almost at 10am) to the sound of birds yapping right outside my window with a relentless fervor. I'm sure Bernard could immediately identify the exact type of bird and perhaps even the intent of their vocalizations, however, I could only identify that I hated them.

Once I had shaken off the morning avian irritation, I procured a quick cup of tea, did a few exercises, and made my way downstairs to get to work earning my lodging and food. The first task on hand was cutting firewood for the stove- a relatively easy task except that my host has collected a mass of wood that would more than suffice to open a hardware supply store. But as no one person is alike, no one scrap of wood is alike, and there are countless pieces of scraps, vinewood, pine, oak, bamboo, and a whole host of other woods in an unlimited configuration. So, as you would imagine, I had to rely heavily on my host to designate which wood I should cut- lest I destroy a 200 year old oak window sill he had collected as a replacement for one of his own.

Post-chopping I felt it was time for a quick meal so I cut off a few hunks of Portuguese bread, grabed two eggs and heated up the skillet over the fired burning oven. In all my eggs with fried toast and sea salt were quite outstanding, to my humble taste buds at least.

After the late breakfast, I headed downstairs for the second half of my day's work- moving the junk/salvage/clutter from one room outside to another. Evidently Ron was planning to create a workshop in the middle room that was currently occupied by junk, so to do that, helpxer's to the rescue! Thankfully, a new helpx'er, Tom, joined us today and helped me lift the heaviest of the items to their new resting place. (Will post finished pictures later.)

After an outstanding lunch of various meats and mashed potatoes and peas (I'm staying with all Brits mind you), Tom and I decided to take a walk through Ledesma. Unfortunately our adventure was cut short by menacing clouds approaching from the northwest. So we bailed and headed back to Ron's for a few rounds of ping-pong and a couple well earned beers.

Later in the night Ingrid, Ron, Tom and I attempted to go to a local bar but we were (surprise!) the only patrons of the bar. So after a drink- back to the palacio we returned. The rest of the night was spent debating a myriad of topics and my perhaps hasty but well intentioned attempt to create a grilled cheese on the open flame.

No comments:

Post a Comment