Monday, April 2, 2012

Gear (sort of) Dilemma

So I've got everything packed and with the laptop it's just a shade over 40 lbs (42). Not really a problem as I've been training w 60 lbs so it feels fine but the pack itself is STUFFED. This is primarily for two reasons: (1) the tent & sleeping back take up about 1/3 to 1/2 of the interior space (more than I had anticipated); and (2) packing my boots in the pack also takes up waaaay too much space. I had considered leaving the boots behind but I've been strongly advised not to do that.

So, while I've got everything in there and I'm at a reasonable weight (I would have preferred to be around 35-37 lbs heading out), there is still the issue of physical space. At some point I'm going to need to add water and food for the backpacking portions. Now, granted, when I'm backpacking I'll have the boots out and my much smaller lighter shoes in, as well as probably be wearing the jacket, gloves, and hat.

All that said, there still will not be a ton of space for extra stuff- let alone gifts for people and (of course) any local spirits I want to snag a bottle of.

So the options are: (1) leave the boots (probably not really an option); (2) move the tent to the exterior of the pack using the auxiliary straps (fine for on the trail but don't think I want to be going through cities as it would likely get stolen); (3) leave some more clothes behind; or (4) shut up and deal with it.

For the clothes option I've already pared it down to about the minimum I can. I'm bringing the following:

- 1 jeans
- 1 pants
- 2 shorts
- 8 t-shirts
- 1 long sleeve shirt
- 2 polos
- 1 dress shirt
- 7 regular socks
- 2 hiking socks
- 8 boxers
- 3 undershirts

Basically that should be enough to last 8-10 days easy and up to 2 weeks if necessary. I feel like if I take less, like pulled out 2-3 days worth of clothes, I'll have to do laundry every 5-6 days which would be immensely annoying.

So it appears the best option is to just shut up and deal with it. I'll have to do some juggling around depending on what I'm up to, but at the end of the day I'm pretty damn proud that I've packed around 40 pounds (including what I need for shelter) for a 3 month stint. I usually have 30-40 pounds of stuff not including a tent and sleeping bag for a 2 week vacation.

So with everything packed, the training basically done, and all other preparations nearly complete, I guess it's finally time to get this show on the road. And it's about damn time!

No comments:

Post a Comment