Sunday, May 6, 2012

Thoughts from the Marrakesh Express

Well I’ve officially been traveling for four weeks as of today. In one way it seems like the time has flown by but I also feel like I’ve been traveling for years. Prolonged time on the road has a tendency to do that I suppose.

Anyway, the 8+ hour train ride from Fes to Marrakesh provided me with an excellent opportunity to do something I often forget I’m capable of: thinking. Since I have the time to kill it seems appropriate to jot (or I guess type) some recent ruminations bouncing around in the old noggin. I'm still a little leery of and anxious about posting my thoughts on myself for the world to see, but if I'm trying to give you, dear reader, a real picture of what's going on with me on this trip I suppose it's just as important if not more so than how rainy it is or how many beers I threw down. Anyway, this is just honestly what I was thinking about- hopefully it won't sound too conceited.

On the bus ride from Chefchaouen I wrote the following:

“It just occurred to me. How do you tell something like this to your friends and family in a way that they could fully understand? How do you explain what it was like or all the things you saw on a trip like this? How things changed you or moved you to laughter or tears? How you found out so much about yourself and then discovered how far you still have left to go?

I’m not sure you ever really can. This type of journey, it’s something that only the person taking it will ever truly understand, ever fully grasp the scope of. People that you meet along the way, those that travel with you, they’ll have some idea- but their journey is separate and unique too. And no one will ever fully understand their experiences in the way they won’t understand yours.

Thus it’s something intensely personal to the one who experienced it. It must be similar to the feelings of soldiers returning from war. There is no way for them to truly convey what it was like, what they did and what they saw, how it changed and affected them. The context, that experience just cannot be fully conveyed.

So for me, I think it will to a great extent always be a special secret. A unique treasure that only I will have access to. The same as any traveler has on their journey, no two alike. It makes me both sad and excited that the extent of this experience is inherent only to myself. And like the soldiers, this for me is a bit of a war; but my war is a spiritual, emotional, and intellectual war. An internal war. A war of myself and my journey in life. Only I will ever understand it because only I will have lived it.”

Today, as part of my journey/war/extended holiday/whatever you want to call it, I thought about one of my greatest fears: the fear of abandonment. Historically I haven’t been afraid of much. I’m not scared of snakes or spiders or sharks (although I find all of them creepy). I’m not afraid of ghosts or monsters or other such gobbelty-gook. I’m not afraid of vaguely menacing deities. I’m not afraid of death. But one fear that has permeated from somewhere deep in my subconscious is a fear of abandonment. The fear of being left behind- of someone, something, life in general- moving on without me.

It’s funny because until relatively recently I had never really noticed it, or at least never thought about it. But it has been ever prevalent, affecting my life for better or worse in countless ways, some trivial some profound. For example, I’ve (knock on wood) never missed a flight. The inconvenience and cost notwithstanding, I just hate the idea of being left behind. Similarly, I’ve struggled in situations where I feel I may one day be the one getting left behind: relationships, friendships, jobs, etc.  To compensate for the fear, my natural reaction is to be the one to abandon first. If I bail first, I won’t get that sinking feeling of loss, failure, etc.

While I understand the fear and its effect on me, I’ve never attempted to confront it. And because it’s a deep rooted psychological fear, I can’t, as Stella says, just use logic to figure out a solution (i.e. make myself suddenly no longer care) and be done. I need to find my way to the root cause, confront that, and find a way to work past it.

I’m not sure exactly what that root cause is, but I’m almost certain it stems from or is related to my general dissatisfaction with myself. Something that was born and raised into me. I’ve always wanted and needed to be better. Better grades, better at sports, better at everything. I’ve never been at peace or satisfied with myself or my life. Somewhere in there, in that development process is the reason for my fear of abandonment. That because somehow I’m not as good as I should be, I will thereby be swept aside.

So it’s this way of thinking about things and myself that I’m working on as I travel. And traveling and meeting new people has provided me an excellent outlet for working through these thoughts/feelings. When I was in Madrid and befriending all these new people, it was devastating when I had to say goodbye to new pals departing before me. But as I’ve kept traveling I’m learning to be able to enjoy the interactions and time together without triggering the negative emotions that would usually accompany the terminus of such time.

It’s still a work in process but I’m finally coming to appreciate things more for what they are and simply enjoy the experience. Stop wanting things my way, stop trying to control everything. As Stella would say, adopt a passive stance and let things come to me. Stop worrying about the endgame and just focus on the now.

No comments:

Post a Comment