Friday, February 10, 2012

New York: (Re)visited

Last week I had the opportunity to return to New York for a few days of revelry and other brouhaha. While I was unable to see everyone I would have liked during my brief visit, I nonetheless had an outstanding time seeing a few good friends and otherwise making merry.

The first thing that struck me when I arrived at Penn Station (apart from the rolling bag of a hurried commuter) was the immense amount of collected beings. Living in the far corners of remote North Carolina for the past 6 weeks has heightened my awareness for the proximity and density of fellow homo sapiens. Naturally, the first words out of my mouth when I climbed the stairs into the main Amtrak platform was "holy shit that is a lot of people."

Strange how a few weeks away from the hustle and bustle can alter the way you perceive and react to those around you. As a citizen of the great metropolis I have walked by hundreds of thousands of people and it had never once occurred to me to acknowledge the magnitude of souls soldiering past me.

Similarly, 6 weeks "up the country" allowed my ears to adjust to a reasonable volume for a day's worth of activities. Even after such a short reprieve, the first five minutes waiting for the 1 train nearly deafened me. At this moment it became irrevocably clear: the outlandishly loud nature of New York has to be considered one of the primary reasons why said denizens tend to speak in volumes of either loud, louder, or loudest. Everyone is at minimum moderately deaf.

Anyway, in all the excitement I forgot to take some pictures while I was there, but a friend was able to shoot this short video of Kev and I hanging out with some of the local talent.



After that things got hazy, but before I fled over the 69th Street Bridge someone snapped this photo of me:


ETA: Did anyone know that James Park is actually the Duke of New York? Here is a picture of his car.

No comments:

Post a Comment